Tuesday 10 July 2012

Pressing On




"12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 3:12-14 
The atmosphere was incredible. On Sunday morning on the eighth of July, 16,759 people got up out of their beds and onto the roads of London to participate in the British 10k. It was raining before we even began and it continued to rain all the way until the 8th kilometer. We started from St. James place to Trafalgar Square to Waterloo Bridge to Embankment Hill to Westminster Bridge and all the way back to Whitehall. The route was beautiful and I couldn't have asked for a better city to run my first race.

I know that 10 kilometers isn't that much, but to me, this race meant so much more than running just 6.21371192 miles. Running the Nike+ British 10k is the first and only real goal that I have ever set for myself in my journey to become personally fit. By personally, I mean alone. I've always had a coach by my side and I've always had teammates surrounding me to push me when I thought I couldn't go any further. This time around, I was my own competition, and it felt really, really, really good to beat myself.

xx elizabeth