Sunday 15 July 2012

La Fête Nationale et Château de Versailles


Joyeux Quatorze Juillet!
Happy Bastille Day!

-------






I woke up early this morning. Well, earlier than usual to take on my solo trip to Château de Versailles. Most of the other people in my program haven't been to Paris before so they opted to stay in the city today. As for me, I didn't even think twice about the Palace of Versailles. This is where I wanted to go last summer, during holiday with my family, but time did not permit. I spent approximately two hours in the actual palace. If any of you ever get the chance to go to Versailles, I recommend getting the audio guide and listening to everything in the galerie des Batailles aka the gallery of battles (which is pictured above). I spent the next four hours in Jardins du château de Versailles (Gardens of Versailles). I rented a bike for €9.50 and it was well worth the price. I rode in and out of the gardens, all the way around the cross-shaped Grand Canal and even into some of the restricted areas being reconstructed. After the bike ride, I grabbed a Nutella crêpe, found a seat at the beautiful Orangerie fountain and read my Daily Bread. I made it back just in time to the hotel, went to the Eurostar, and here I am, back in London! My first (and hopefully not last) Bastille weekend turned out better than I had hoped for!


merci et bonjour, 
xx elizabeth